My beautiful wife and I, May 2010.

Monday, November 1, 2010

First Treatment is In the Books



Christina had her first chemo treatment today, November 1. It went well, with no surprises. The port that the surgeon placed in her made the whole process easier to take, as the nurse needed only to pierce the skin to get to the port, instead of having to administer an IV.


They gave her a cocktail of anti-nausea medications before the infusion, and then administered 2 separate chemo drugs. We were there for almost exactly 4 hours, but as there was several parts to the visit, it didn't feel like it dragged on.

She had no allergic reaction to the medication, which was a relief. Now we're back home, and have 3 prescriptions for her to take to mitigate the side affects (primarily the nausea). They told us they don't expect her to vomit, and should only experience light queasiness.


She will be very tired, as fatigue is an expected result of the chemo treatments. She will also be going back tomorrow (Nov 2) to get a shot of Neulasta, which leads to bone aches. So, she'll be down and out a lot, especially in the days following her infusions.


I'm planning to return to work on Wednesday, November 3, if things proceed well. I'll be happy to get back into a routine of work (and working out at the gym, which I've missed!), but will miss the time I've gotten to spend with my beautiful wife. I'm grateful that my employer has allowed me this time to take care of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment